Low Calorie and Low Fat Strawberry Cupcake by Elaine Magee
If you love Sprinkles Cupcakes and want a lower calorie and reduced fat version, Elaine Magee has created the cupcake recipe for you.
According to Elaine Magee, via InsideBayarea.com, the original recipe comes from the Sprinkles Cupcake chain, which has a store in Palo Alto. That recipe has 477 calories, and 23 grams of fat. The modified cupcake recipe has 240 calories and 7.5 grams of fat.
Low Calorie/Low Fat Strawberry Cupcake
Makes 12 cupcakes
1 cup whole fresh or frozen strawberries, thawed
¾ cup whole wheat flour
¾ cup unbleached white flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ cup low-fat milk or fat-free half-and-half
1½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup less fat margarine or whipped butter (with 8 grams fat per tablespoon)
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg, at room temperature (higher omega-3 brand if available)
2 large egg whites, at room temperature
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with cupcake liners; set aside. Place strawberries in a small food processor; process until pureed. You should have about ½ cup.
2. In medium bowl, combine flours, baking powder and salt with a whisk. In a small bowl, combine low-fat milk, vanilla and ½ cup of strawberry puree; set aside.
3. In large mixing bowl, cream margarine and sugar on medium speed with paddle attachment until fluffy. Reduce speed to low and blend in the egg and egg whites, scraping down sides of bowl with spatula after 10 seconds of mixing.
4. With mixer on low, slowly blend in half of the flour mixture. Pour the milk mixture into the mixing bowl and blend, scraping down sides of bowl. Slowly add remaining flour mixture, scraping down sides of bowl again with spatula.
5. Fill prepared muffin cups evenly with the batter. Bake for 22-25 minutes or until top are just dry to the touch. Let cupcakes cool completely before icing.
Light Strawberry Frosting
¼ cup frozen sliced strawberries
¼ cup less-fat margarine
¼ cup light cream cheese
1½ cups powdered sugar
¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Place strawberries in the bowl of a small food processor and process until puree forms.
2. In mixing bowl, beat together (using a paddle attachment) margarine and light cream cheese on medium speed until fluffy. Turn mixer off and add powdered sugar all at once. Mix on low speed, scraping sides of bowl, until well-blended. Add vanilla and 1½ tablespoons of strawberry puree beating only until just blended.
3. Frost cupcakes. Store in the refrigerator if you like your cupcakes nice and cool.
— Recipe from Elaine Magee
Per Modified Version:
Frosted cupcake: 240 calories, 7.5 g total fat, 2 g saturated fat, 20 mg cholesterol, 188 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrates, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein. Calories from fat: 67.