Father’s Day Gluten-Free Brownie Cupcakes with Orange Cream Cheese Frosting
Photo and recipe by
Teri Gruss of About.com
This quick gluten-free brownie mini-cupcake recipe is great for parties. Just one teaspoon of orange cream cheese frosting sprinkled with minced orange zest on each mini-cupcake creates a favorite flavor combination- chocolate and orange.
Prep Time: 20 minutes. Cook Time: 15 minutes.
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3/4 cup all purpose gluten free flour mix
- 1/4 cup amaranth flour
- 8 tablespoons Dutch-process cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon guar gum OR xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
Preheat oven to 350° F / 176° C. Line mini muffin pan with paper liners
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs and beat until blended.
- Place dry ingredients (not the nuts) in a separate bowl and whisk until thoroughly blended.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix just until well combined.
- Fold in nuts.
- Line a mini-muffin baking pan with muffin liner cups. Use a small ice cream scoop or teaspoon to drop brownie batter into muffin cups. Fill approximately two-thirds full.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of a brownie cupcake comes out clean.
- Remove cupcakes from muffin pan and place on a cooling rack.
- When completely cool frost with orange cream cheese frosting.
Orange Cream Cheese Frosting
Place 1/4 cup butter, 3 ounces of cream cheese and 1/2 teaspoon gluten free orange extract in a mixing bowl. Beat on high until mixture is smooth and creamy. Add 2 cups powdered sugar and mix on low until blended. Add 1-2 tablespoons of orange juice if necessary to make a thick, spreadable frosting. Stir in 1 tablespoon of finely grated orange zest. Garnish each cupcake with finely minced orange zest.
Makes 48 mini-cupcakes