How to Decorate Your Cupcakes Like A Pro
Can’t afford bakery cupcakes? You can make and decorate your own like the pros.
Start with your own cake mix. The cupcake pictured above is a vanilla cake mix with added flavoring/food coloring.
- Buttercream frosting is easy to make. Try unsalted butter with added preserves for color and flavor.
- You can also add cocoa powder, flavored extracts and paste food coloring for intense coloring.
- Use a plastic pastry bag for icing your cupcakes. A plastic zip lock bag also works.
- Metal tipped nozzles create dramatic icing designs.
- Use a concentric circular motion for the best icing effect.
- Coarse or sparking sugars and sprinkles add eye appeal to any cupcake.
- Pastry tubes or cake decorating supplies can also help dress up any plain cupcake. These supplies can be purchased at any local craft supply store.
- Read more about cupcake decorating ideas by professional bakers here.
Source: Krissie Bowman, Tacoma owner of The Last Bite http://www.thelastbite.net and Odette D’Aniello, co-owner of Celebrity Cake Studio http://www.celebritycakestudio.com via The Olympian, “Dress up Your Cupcake” by Debbie Cafazzo.