DIY Carrot Cupcakes for Kids
- Orange Starburst candies (one for each carrot)
- Kitchen skewer or toothpick
- Kitchen scissors
- Green Twizzlers
- Batch of cupcakes
- White frosting
- Cinnamon sugar
1. With clean hands, knead each Starburst candy and roll it into a mini carrot shape. If the candy is too stiff, you can microwave it for 4 or 5 seconds. But don’t overdo it — the candy will melt if it’s overheated.
|2. Use the skewer or toothpick to make a hole about 1/4-inch deep in the top of each carrot.|
|3. Cut 1 1/2-inch lengths from a Twizzler and then snip them in half vertically. Turn each half into a leafy top by cutting fringe in one end.|
|4. Insert the carrot tops into the holes in the carrots. If they don’t fit, try trimming the bases a bit to taper them. Or use the skewer tip to gently push them in place.|
5. When all the carrots are made (you’ll want 2 or 3 per cupcake), frost the cupcakes and sprinkle the centers with cinnamon sugar to resemble a patch of sandy soil.
6. “Plant” the carrots in the cupcakes, leaving 1/4 to 1/2 inch of the orange candy showing.